To get a license, your dog must have a current rabies vaccination certificate and tag. The law requires that a current rabies tag and a license tag be attatched to the collar of your dog at all times. The price of the license is dependant upon whether your dog has been spayed or neutered and the length of time you want to get a license for. It is less expensive to license a spayed or neutered dog.
NEW!! Licenses are now valid throughout Utah County, regardless where the license is purchased, with the exception of Payson.
|Altered (Spayed/Neutered)||Unaltered (NOT Spayed/Neutered)|
|One Year License||$15.00||$35.00|
|Two Year License||$25.00||$65.00|
|Three Year License||$35.00||$95.00|
A license becomes invalid if the rabies vaccination expires before the license expiration date. If your dog’s rabies vaccination expires before the license, bring proof that a new rabies vaccination has been administered to the South Utah Valley Animal Shelter to revalidate the license. The rabies vaccination makes the dog legal in the state of Utah and the license makes the dog legal to own in your city.
In order to serve the pet owners of Utah County, we try to hold regular licensing and low cost vaccination clinics in different locations throughout the south part of the county. Check back here often on the website to see when the next clinic will be.
Each rabies vaccination costs $12, and other vaccinations for both dogs and cats will be $10-25 each, with no exam fee.
2013 Licensing & Rabies Clinic
- April 27th 10a.m. - 12p.m. Woodland Hills 690 S. Woodland Hills Dr.
- May 11th 10a.m. – 12p.m. Provo Fire Station 100 S 300 W
- May 18th 9a.m. – 11p.m. Genola Fire Station 74 W 800
- May 18th 1p.m. – 3p.m. Santaquin Fire Station 275 W Main
- September 14th 10a.m. – 12p.m. Spanish Fork Fire Station 50 E 400 N
- September 21st 10a.m. – 12p.m. Salem Fire Station 30 W 100 S
- October 12th 10a.m. – 12p.m. Provo Fire Station 100 S 300 W
- October 26th 10a.m – 12p.m. Springville Police Station 110 S 100 W
Licenses can also be purchased at:
- South Utah Valley Animal Shelter 582 W 3000 N Spanish Fork 801-851-4080
- Elk Ridge City 80 E Park Dr 801-423-2300
- Genola Town 74 W 800 S 801-754-5300
- Mapleton City 125 W Community Center Way 801-489-5655
- Provo City 351 W Center 801-852-6532
- Salem City 30 W 100 S 801-423-2312
- Santaquin City 45 W 100 S 801-754-1070
- Spanish Fork Police Department 789 W Center 801-798-5070
- Springville City 110 S Main 801-489-2706
- Woodland Hills City 200 S Woodland Hills Dr 801-423-3900
**If you are purchasing a license at the shelter, police department or city office, you will need to bring proof of spay or neuter if it is the first time you are licensing the animal, as well as the current rabies vaccination certificate. You can also purchase the license from the following veterinarians at the time of vaccination for rabies.**
- All About Pets 2255 N Freedom Blvd Provo 801-375-5300
- Coleman Vet Clinic 3145 N Canyon Rd Provo 801-812-2077
- Family Pet Hospital 448 N 1600 W Mapleton 801-489-6369
- Nebo Animal Clinic 845 N 300 W Spanish Fork 801-798-7493
- Park Animal Hospital 1615 S State Provo 801-374-0622
- Payson Family Pet Hospital 43 N 1000 E Payson 801-465-1800
- Riverwoods Pet Hospital 3820 N University Ave Provo 801-224-2233
- West Mountain Animal Hospital 143 W 900 N Payson 801-465-4648
*Payson city residents need to contact Payson City to obtain a license. Payson does not participate in the Utah County licensing program.
(Utah Rabies Law: http://health.utah.gov/epi/diseases/rabies/R386rabies.pdf)